Batch Your Marketing to Save Time
If you wish there were more hours in the day (who doesn't?) then you're in good company. The best marketers I know feel the strain of limited time, yet choose to rise above it with intention and planning. Batching is a personal favorite.
What is Batching?
Batching is a productivity hack where you dedicate chunks of time to similar tasks. While it's not a new concept, most small businesses are not taking full advantage of this time and energy saver - especially when it comes to their marketing.
Why Do I Need It?
Now that we live in a time where the myth of multi-tasking has been exposed, we can restructure our work to optimize our creativity and focus without draining our mental energy and time. Batching not only optimizes your working hours but also removes the wasted transitional time that adds up when you're switching from task to task.
Some of your most effective marketing tactics are repeatable. So why are you switching from one repeatable task to a completely new one, over and over again, throughout your workday? Most likely, lack of planning and intention is the culprit. I get it. You're swimming in to-dos, communications and projects...so where's the time for this "intention" and "planning" I speak of? It's floating by right now...little life rafts of opportunity all around you.
What Kinds of Things Can I Batch?
- Customer communication planning
- Blog posts
- Newsletter creation
- Transactional emails
- Social media marketing
- Website updates
- Customer research and interviews
- Product photography
- Graphic design
- Customer service communications
- Industry research
- Video marketing
- Podcast recording and production
Where Do I Start?
- First, set aside time to sit down with your marketing plan. (Don't have a marketing plan? Let's fix that.)
- Make note of each tactic that's repeatable.
- Identify team members responsible for each item.
- If you haven't done this already, create workflow processes for each tactic.
- Gather your involved team members and brainstorm:
- Ideal time of the day for each tactic
- Ideal batch size (Should you create 3 blog posts at a time? 10 social media posts? A month's worth of package inserts?)
- Opportunities within your workflow for increasing efficiency
- Schedule your first set of batches for a 4-6 week chunk. Revise, repeat and grab some tea...more time and less mental chaos.